Break up the working week with an exciting foray into some of the lesser known parts of the Port Hills. The events are hosted with the support of the New Zealand Rogaining Association and are a great family evening out or a stepping stone to longer events later in the year.
Entries are open here - get your team together and enter now!
Dates: Wednesday evenings:
- 13 Jan 2021 - Mt Vernon and Avoca Valleys
- 20 Jan 2021 - Mt Pleasant
- 27 Jan 2021 - Lyttleton (1hr/2hr foot rogaine or combined water/foot rogaine option - must do the water-based controls in the first half)
- 3 Feb 2021 - Huntsbury
Information about Week 3 - Lyttelton
We hope you are looking forward to Week 3 of the Further Faster Summer Rogaine Series. This week will be a bit different with some optional water-based activities.
We will have 1 & 2 hour foot rogaines, with the same format as the past two weeks. In addition, this week we will have two (optional) extra activities to get more points. More details as follows:
- Option 1 - Short Swim, or Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP). This will be a short distance (approx. 50m) to get an extra control on course. All teams have the opportunity to either swim or use a stand up paddleboard to get across to the control. The stand up paddleboard experience is included in your entry and Joe Jagush from Airborn Paddling will be on hand with equipment and guidance for teams wanting to take this option.
- Option 2 - Long(er) Kayak/Watercraft stage. The course this week will include some additional controls which will be accessible only by kayak. The total distance is about 4kms and participants must supply their own seaworthy watercraft. Please bring a watercraft consistent with your experience (i.e. not too tippy). Joe Jagush from Airborn Paddling has a small number of craft that may be hired privately for the longer stage on a pre-arranged basis.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I decide whether to do the kayak option on the day, depending on weather conditions? Yes you can. There is no separate entry for the kayak option. Please enter the event duration as with previous weeks, and let us know at registration if you will be doing the paddle option.
2. Are all kayak controls punchable from the kayak or do you need to be in and out of the kayak? At least two controls will necessitate getting out of your boat and walking up to the high tide mark.
3. Are the kayak controls relatively close to shoreline or does it involve a trip across to Quail Island? The kayak controls are close to shore in the (relatively) sheltered part of the harbor (Rapaki Bay to Naval Point).
4. Is the timing for the run and kayak section just a total of 2 hours or are they timed separately, with a timeout for the transition? Total time is 2 hours, whether you include the optional paddling stage or not. No timeout will be recorded for transitions. We think the fastest paddlers may take about 30-40 minutes for all the water-based controls.
All events within 20 mins drive of Christchurch (biking might take a few more mins depending on how quick you are!)
Terrain: An exciting foray into some of the lesser known parts of the Port Hills.
Flexible start time: Teams participating in the 2 hour courses are invited to start any time between 6:00pm and 7:00pm. Teams on the 60 minute course can start any time between 6:00pm and 7:30pm.
Adults - $20
Students - $10
Under 12 - Free (must run with an adult)
(Note - a $5 surcharge applies to on-the-night payments)
Toilet facilities will be available at the event center.
Christchurch weather is highly variable and we recommend that participants are prepared for all extremes. At minimum the following gear is required:
- Polypro or equivalent top
- Pen or pencil as back up
There will not be drinking water out on course so please ensure you have enough on you for the full time you will be out.
If not competing but keen to be involved please let us know - we're always keen to accept offers of help! Let us know via email info (at) Canterburyrogaine.com if you or family members are available to help out.
Course Planners: Tim Farrant, Stephanie Farrant, Nick Smith, Odelios Reugg
Any questions? Email us at [email protected]
Christmas Twilight Rogaine 2020
Results for the 2020 Christmas Twilight Rogaine are here and compare routes at rogaine-results.com